Saturday, August 7, 2010

Wind Rivers 2010

Connor had to lead the llama "Woody" for the 1st couple of days. Woody gave up on us when the going got tough and if I would have had a gun, I would have put him out of my misery!

This is part of our gang after having rain all night long at the top of Dad's Lake! Don't let the beauty deceive you! The bugs and the pure brutality of this area could NOT be captured on a picture!

Alyson and Mia were just getting ready to cross the East Fork River for the 1st time! The cold water felt good on our painful piggies!

One of Connor's 8 fish that he caught! He had THE lure, we called it the Mia lure because she had picked it out at the store because it was "pretty," it was yellow and pink and the fish LOVED it!

This is us getting ready to leave our 2nd camp and the Stewart's who stayed here for a few more days. Our packs were very heavy because we didn't have the llama's to help us this time. Believe me, this was OK by me!

These are the toughest Weaver's I know! This is right after we had summited over 10000 ft and were getting ready to make our LONNGGGG decent back to the car! Little did we know that we were only about a fourth of the way back at this point!

After hiking for HOURS we came to the East Fork River and had to dunk our heads! All the kids (and Dad) except Mia did it! As we got lower in elevation the heat and the bugs got worse and worse so the cold water was a welcome relief!

Part of what made this trip so great was how the kids worked together and NEVER complained even though it was VERY hard. Connor would hike ahead a mile or so and then run back to Mia and carry her back to his pack! He did this time and time again!

After a 12 mile hike out from our camp, tears came to our eyes when we finally arrived at our wonderful car! I've never been so happy to see that gas-guzzling beast in my entire life! We would have got more pictures, but we were too tired and the bugs were literally swarming us! It was all we could do to get this picture!

We had a tough experience backpacking, but our family came together like I've never seen and we did great! I won't bore you with all the details, but it was awesome to see our kids all work together through a very tough situation!

6 comments:

fred said...

Fantastic. I can not wait to see more pictures!!

D. Ethan Weaver said...

that seems fun, we miss you in washington tell p-man i said hi
luv u -E.T.

Britt said...

Wow, you guys are insane. It sounds like a good bonding experience! I'm glad you made it!

Adam Weaver said...

I'm glad we made it too!

Nori said...

It's great that you did this. Unfortunately, it is the really hard things in life that really show you what you"re made of.

I think it is especially great that the kids all pulled together like they did. I hope it shows them that they will always have each other no matter how hard things get.

I love and miss all of you!

Cami said...

I should check the blog more often. I am out of the habit. I don't know how this trip came about but it sure looks like it was a great experience. I love that Connor would carry Mia. I wish my family was not so lazy, (sometimes) :-)