We woke up when we wanted to and then we headed to the pool at our hotel for some relaxation poolside in the Turkish heat. Dad wasn't enjoying just hanging out at the pool so he headed back to his place while we swam with the kids. Connor went on a 16 mile run (yes in the heat with NO water).
Me and my 2 youngest doing what they love best!
After a few hours of roasting in the sun, I decided to call Dad and see what the plan would be for the rest of the day. Little did I know, he was fast asleep enjoying some semi-alone time (Connor was actually there recovering from his steamy run). My phone call woke him and he jumped up way too quick. He then experienced what is referred to as Orthostatic Hypotension. There was even LESS blood running to his brain than usual and Connor said, "He hit the ground like a rock!" We didn't know it then because he's tougher than your average bear, but he had broken his foot at that time (I take full responsibility).
We went over to their place and then did an Izmir tour (sans Mom who was shopping for dinner). Izmir is a great city. We really enjoyed our time checking it all out. It wasn't until we had already walked about 2 miles that I realized Dad was limping. When I asked what happened he just said, "Oh, it's nothing I probably just pulled something when I PASSED OUT!" Yes, that's my Dad!
The famous Izmir clock tower. You'll notice all of the pigeons. Adin and Mia chased them ALL over right after this picture!
My two most favorite girls EVER!
After walking (and limping) all over the boardwalk surrounding the bay in Izmir we caught a bus and headed to the absolute pinnacle of Izmir to see a centuries-old castle overlooking the entire city.
This is a picture that I took while standing on a wheel well above everyone looking at Alyson between Connor's arm. The reason I took this was to remember how we honestly had EVERYONE in this bus engaged in a conversation with Dad explaining that he was "Byuk BABA" (Big Daddy). The ENTIRE bus was FULLY engaged in the conversation and laughing like crazy. It was awesome! Dad was incredible and they absolutely loved him!
So, I put this picture in just so you could see the steps that Dad was climbing with a BROKEN FOOT!! This was inside the castle climbing to the top turret.
Looking out over Izmir from the castle.
From up here we had a great view of Ataturk's own Mt. Rushmore.
One of the highlights of this day was seeing these ladies cooking the bread (seen sitting on top of the oven on the left). They literally had a fire burning in this oven and were cooking bread. They gave us each some (it was INCREDIBLE) and refused to take any money at all for it. Pretty cool!
All-in-all, it was another great day in Turkey that was finished off with a meal with Ethan (Turk that had lived in California) and one of Mom's awesome meals!

3 comments:
Love reliving this week. It was so fun, although I could do without the broken foot part.
Good think I broke it on the last days and not earlier.
So fun to see the grand kids
I love reliving it too. So thankful you could come. Gives me hope that I'll make it to the end.
Looks like an awesome trip. Can't imagine the heat.
Post a Comment