Friday, November 30, 2007

The Jeep, snorkeling, and a magnificent sunset

Day 3, Maui
The only time I saw Derek get stressed out on the trip was Monday morning, on our way to the Thrifty rental location, because he was concerned that the Jeep we had reserved wouldn't be available. After driving a Lincoln Towncar on Sunday, he was paranoid that we would have to cruise the streets of Maui in another reitree-style car. I think if we had done nothing but drive around the islands in a Jeep the entire week, Derek would have been satisfied. (By the way, he did apologize to you, Danny-- he knows how you feel about Jeeps.)

We began the morning snorkeling at an off-the-beaten-path snorkeling spot, Makena Point. (Our Frommer's Travel Book proved invaluable during the trip!) Once I remembered how to breathe, I discovered how much I LOVE snorkeling. I don't know that SCUBA is for me-- I like being able to surface when a ray is threateningly approaching me, as it did one time-- don't worry, I had Derek there to shove in front of me-- but I love the feeling of floating over and observing the fascinating world that lies beneath the water. From the shore, it's hard to imagine how much is going on under the water's surface. I was so ecstatic when I spotted a giant sea turtle-- we promised Ethan and Reid we would find one and take pictures with the underwater camera-- that I tried to point it out to Derek, but when he looked at me confused, I came to the surface to tell him what I saw, and began sputtering and choking on the salt water in my excitement. We snorkeled 3 times in Maui and once on Kona and saw dozens of amazing fish, urchins, and creatures.
A black sand beach south of Wailea
Check out this dope ride on the main street in Lahaina
Derek cliff-jumping in Kaanapali
Maui Sunset
After the sun set, we ate dinner at the Hula Grill, which was on the shore in Kaanapali. It was a perfect setting, under grass huts with tiki-torches, with a Hawaiian style band that was really good.

No comments: