Monday, March 19, 2007

Preston the Hero!


Preston was the subject of our FHE this evening. Preston did a great thing. I'll try and skip to the most important details. There is a boy (Forest) in his class that has had some trouble making friends lately. Another boy, known to cause some trouble every once in a while, came up to Preston and said, "Forest says that your dumb and that you're not a good person." Preston responded, "That's not true! Forest is a good friend and he would never say that!" The boy couldn't believe it, it took the wind out of his sails and he turned around and didn't say another word. How did we hear this story? Forest was a little ways away from this conversation and heard it all. After school he went home totally excited and told his mom. His mom then called Alyson and told her this story. Why was it so important to him and his Mom? Forest has been having trouble since kindergarten with this certain boy saying mean things about her son. Forest's Mom and Dad have been telling him since kindergarten, "Don't worry, some day somebody will stand up to this bully and tell him the truth!" That day came the other day and our Preston was that boy! Now, his Mom said, "Thanks to Preston, Forest feels like he has a real friend at school!" They're already planning on having him over after school or on a weekend coming up. Good job Preston! I told him today after a hard lacrosse practice, "Preston, Heavenly Father really doesn't care if you are the best lacrosse player in the world, but He sure cares if you make one of His children feel better about themself!" Preston's frown from a tough lacrosse practice turned into a smile like the one you see here.

4 comments:

fred said...

this is way too terrific. I am expecting a major hug on friday night when we get together. Preston, you are fantastic. not just a great magician, but a real example for everyone. I am proud to be your grandpa.

Britt said...

Preston--
That story gives me goose bumps! You are an inspiration! Ethan has a new boy in his class named Alec who is having a hard time making friends because he doesn't behave well, so we have been talking about what Ethan can do to help Alec fit in better. Thank you for your example... that is a really hard thing to do. I can think of a few people I wish I would have done a better job of standing up for when I was in school, and I still feel a sense of regret....so don't ever lose that wonderful, admirable trait!!!

Cami said...

I knew that you were a great kid...You have such a big heart. It takes a really special kid to make someone feel so special and loved. I hope you remember this good feeling all of your life and remember to always think of others. That is not an easy thing to do. you are a great example to me. You know, I actually cried when I read your story. I love you, Preston

Nori said...

Preston, You are the best kind of good, the kind of person who cares about others and is especially concerned about people who have a problem. I remember how kind you always were to Tyson and Timmy and I love you for it. That is the kind of thing that makes Heavenly Father especially proud of you.........and me too!
Love, Grandma