
I'm behind on blogging, so here's a little update! Last weekend Luke and I flew to Arizona to visit my mom's side of the family. My Grandma Sue was diagnosed with acute leukemia last month, so I wanted to make sure I had a chance to visit her while she's still relatively well. Luke got to come with me, since he still flies free, but I had to leave Derek, Ethan and Reid at home. My parents, Matt & Cami met us there, too.

We had a great visit, catching up with cousins, aunts, and uncles, and some really nice conversations with each of my grandparents. I learned some really cool family history from my grandpa, like that my 4th great grandfather, George Bentley Teeples, who had moved his family from the east to Pontiac, Michigan, was taught there by Hyrum and Joseph Smith on one of their missions. (Pontiac is right near where we travel to go to the temple in Detroit!) Soon after, George moved his family to Nauvoo, and came across the plains with the rest of the Saints. I had no idea I had such special ties to Michigan!

Here is a picture of the snow we didn't get until AFTER Christmas :( sorry Fred & Nori! Reid is a great little shoveler. Derek bought ice skates for himself and Ethan and Reid while I was gone, and there is an outdoor rink a few blocks away, so I'll take some pics of them skating this week.

We had a great time celebrating our "Loveable" Loverboy Reido's birthday on 2/14. Grandma and Grandpa, he loved the "Chub City" car, but I think Luke loved it even more. He was going nuts as we were trying to get it out of the packaging, say "Cah! Cah! Cah!" Now Reid has to fight Luke in order to play with it.
He was thrilled to get the pirate set in the mail-- thanks Alyson! When I got home from AZ, Ethan and Reid had set up their "pirate cove" in the corner of the play room. They loved it!
Derek takes boards Tuesday, we work on our house on Lansing Wednesday and list it for sale, and then just sit tight until 3/15, when we'll know our fate!
3 comments:
great update. You forgot to tell us how your grandmother is doing. I am so sorry for her. I hope you get recordings of some of the stories.
Thanks for asking. She's doing okay... she gets blood transfusion every week, which I understand won't be effective long-term... she is very weak, but still walks with a walker. The hardest part is that she has bouts of delirium off and on, which is often seen with leukemia, whether it's due to the lack of blood, lack of sleep, or a side-effect of medication, it's hard to say. So some of the time she was very lucid, and other times she was kind of crazy... even demanding and stubborn, which I know is hard for my grandpa and her daughters, especially Krissie, who doesn't understand why her mom is acting abnormal. It's obvious that the times when she acts that way are part of the disease process, because in the next breath she was thanking us for taking care of her and telling us how much she loves us. I was fortunate to catch her when what everyone says was her "best couple of days" since she was diagnosed last month. We had some great conversations, and interestingly, whenver we talked about the past, she seemed completely coherent.
We miss you when you are gone...glad your back and the family is together again. Thanks for the video updates today...that Ethan! (need I say more?) I am also sorry to hear about your Grandma. Jason's grandpa has been comotosed (remember I got Dad's bad spelling gene) since Saturday, and probably won't make it through the week. We understand your sense of loss.
Post a Comment